Monday, September 5, 2011

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

Even though I love Murakami's style, how the metaphysical intrudes into everyday reality, how the ordinary becomes extraordinary, I have mixed feelings about this book.

My mother bought it for me because of the title, since I am a dancer. (not that the book is really about dancing!) When I started reading it, it sucked me in. But somehow by the end of it it did not resonate for me like some of his other books.

What I did enjoy was the satire of the novel and the air of mystery. The other side of reality part and the element of the bizarre which almost almost permeates Murakami's writings somehow just didn't work for me here.

I did for some reason really like the character of the teenage girl, who befriends the narrator after her famous mother "forgets" her in the Dolphin Hotel. The Dolphin Hotel which dominates the landscape of the novel really comes alive. It almost becomes a character in itself.

If you have not read any of Murakami's works, I would not suggest this novel to start with but if you have read his other works then, like me, you will find it captivating, an interesting mix of mystery, satire with generous sprinklings of the bizarre.













No comments:

Post a Comment