Friday, January 20, 2012

Book Review: The Immortals of Meluha by Amish


So when I was in India this December I saw that Amish's books were on every best seller list. My curiosity was mostly aroused because it was based on Shiva. I am a sucker for mythology and love contemporary interpretations and fresh approaches to the myths and legends, that were a huge part of my childhood.

I think what was really disappointing was that the book was not well-written. There is a certain pleasure that one gleans from beautifully constructed sentences and intelligent writing. I think the actual story is interesting, but I wish it was better told. Also, the big "secrets" were really quite predictable and easy to guess. (even in the second book!)

The other thing that I had a problem with was the context of the setting. I enjoy fantasy and science fiction as genres and I also relish historical fiction. This book was neither here not there! Yes, it is set in ancient India but the world the characters inhabit is not true to that time period. Of course I understand the power of the imagination and artistic license. But this weird blend of using mythological characters in a historical setting, with a complete disregard for historical authenticity really irked me.

I have been reading a lot of historical fiction and some of my favorite authors, like Indu Sunderesan and Conn Iggulden, list the historical facts at the end of their books. These form the foundation on the basis of which they let their imagination soar, albeit after tremendous research. In The Immortals of Meluha, there was no such thing because I guess it is a work of fantasy. I understand the fact that he wanted to recreate the story of Shiva, as a man who became a God, because of his karma. I think that is an engaging concept. But why place him in the setting of ancient India, referring to historical events, without pertaining to any of the known facts of that era?


Yes, it is a  quick and entertaining read. I read it on my flight from India to the U.S. And I do want to know what happens to Shiva. I just wish that there was more to it, but there really isn't.









No comments:

Post a Comment