Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 Reading

My goal for 2011 was to read a lot more. I think I succeeded in that, even though I failed the 100+ Book Challenge. I got to 44! (Still better than the twenty something books I read in 2010).

I also noticed that I picked up a lot of books that were between 600-800 pages because I just love long, lengthy novels that have a chance to really develop.

I absolutely loved the Gothic Reading Challenge and read many more than the 5 I had planned to read. Though I didn't pick up any works that were gruesome, I enjoyed the the dark undertones and well as the haunting quality of the books. I still prefer the Classic Gothic novels like Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelly's Frankenstein to the more Contemporary Gothic works, though I do have a soft spot for vampire fiction!

The other genre that I absolutely fell in love with was Historical Fiction. Again I had signed up to read 5 books but exceeded this number. I particularly enjoyed Conn Iggulden's Wolf of the Plains and am still in the midst of The Conqueror Series. The other book that really resonated with me with Irving Stone's The Agony and the Ecstacy. These books brought to life  historical eras and characters, rekindling my interest in history and drawing me into the fascinating world of the past.

The last challenge I had signed up for was the South Asian Reading Challenge at the expert level, hoping to read 15 books. I usually read a lot of South Asian writing but this year in my excitement to explore other genres, I ended up neglecting this challenge, reading only 6 books. My favorite of this challenge and also one of my favorites of the year was Indu Sunderesan's The Shadow Princess.

I also devoured fantasies this year, re-reading the Harry Potter series just as the last movie was released. I went on to read Terry Good kind's Sword of the Truth series which consisted of 11 books, one of the best reads this year. The other series I enjoyed was Christopher Paolin's Inheritance series, the last book of which I completed in the beginning of 2012.

All in all it was a fabulous reading year. For 2012 I decided not to sign up for any reading challenges. There are already a lot of books that I know I want to read. Besides that I will be looking at other bloggers' recommendations and explore new authors and genres and also read more books by the authors whose works I have grown to love.

























No comments:

Post a Comment